Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Walls come tumbling down II

No, this isn't a re-post. The unrelenting cold this winter provided us more work than expected. The frost line was deeper than I can remember. When temps rose and began to thaw out most of the ground, we were hit with another deep freeze. This caused the saturated ground to refreeze and expand pushing against this wall.

The funny part was my assistant Josh had just left this area an hour before and all was fine. As I walked through, I just lowered and shook my head. I went back to the shop to let him know what happened and he just looked at me with a blank stare. He actually thought I was messing with him.

After moving all the stones away the two crewmen began rebuilding the wall. We removed about a foot of earth behind the wall to incorporate drain stones and perforated pipe. This will allow water to flow away from the wall as well as provide room for expansion.


No comments:

Post a Comment