Thursday, March 16, 2017

Stewardship


After a few beautiful 70 degree days in FEBRUARY, we are sitting here in the middle of March looking out at 8+" of snow and ice. As all of us wait with baited breath to get this season underway I felt this was a perfect time to discuss a topic that to this day still is an issue. BALLMARKS! I want all of our members, guests and staff to realize whether we are playing Augusta, Merion, Rivercrest, or the local public course that it is our responsibility to take time and repair marks left by our play. It's part of the game that many times is overlooked and  leaves the course in worse shape for the players behind.
I started playing this great game at 9 years old and the first lesson I had with the local pro was him discussing course etiquette. He instilled in me to leave the course in better shape than I left it. Fix your ballmarks, rake the bunkers smooth, and replace your divots.
After 35 years I'm still amazed when I tour the course every morning and walk on these greens there are ballmarks completely untouched. Always try to fix your mark as well as find another to fix while you are waiting for your friends to putt.


   


These photos above were taken on Saturday, October 15th from 4 green.


Now, we also need to fix the mark correctly. Fixing the mark incorrectly will leave an ugly scar on the green for weeks or longer.  I have posted two videos below on the proper way to fix a ballmark.






No comments:

Post a Comment